Sunday, March 29, 2009


Emma
From the moment I found this table leg in an Essex, MA architectural antique store, I knew that her theme would be asian. It was the proportions of what became the wide band over the small quarter-moon face that had me excited. In addition, the wood had been sawed in half vertically making "Emma", my first piece to be hung on a wall.

I created the look of cloisonné www. vintage-cloisonne.com/Cloisonne-information.asp on the band by twisting thin brass wire in to little more then 1/4" florets which I then glued in place.This process took over 20 hours before I could add paint that fills all the tiny shapes created in wire. Her body is painted and adorned with a old hair barrette. Her hat and base are both made of red sand paper in two different grits. I love the color and texture. Emma's neck is adorned with USPS stamps. Along the base, are Chinese letters I cut out of a copy of my parents Chinese wedding license. www.gluckman.com/ShanghaiJewsChina.html


No comments:

Post a Comment