Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mädchen
The beautiful piece of turned wood that is Mätchen's body was on my Father's household tool bench in the basement of his home. I am quite sure, like me, my father admired it's form and workmanship. After he passed away, I took it and placed it in my studio where it remained untouched for 6 years until I began this new body of work less then 2 years ago. 

I loved the movement of her embroidery 
hoop skirt held in place with strands of antique seed beads. Mädchen has two faces,one smooth and wide eyed, the other aged with eyes closed representing good and bad feelings. Her hat is in inverted antique wire basket. I removed it's handle and wove silk ribbon throughout. 

Humpty-Dumpty is a vintage drawer pull from a child's dresser. Its shape makes the perfect stand for Mädchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment